Application of Fellowship
Singapore Biodesign has launched a brand new and simplified fellowship application process. At the end of each step, applicants will be reviewed and selected applicants will move on to the next step of the application process. Please ensure that all documents required in the individual steps are ready before online submission. All documents should be submitted in PDF (.pdf) or Word Document (.doc) format. Materials not in electronic form must be scanned and submitted in PDF (.pdf) format. Failure to do so will result in unsuccessful application.
1. INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
1.1 How to apply
1.1.1 Round 1: Online Application
Interested applicants please submit your application and the following documents below by 15 September 2019, 2359Hrs:
a) Online application form
Please complete the application form as enclosed in 2. Application Form Round 1. It is mandatory to fill in all the fields.
b) Curriculum vitae or resume
The following information should be included:
- Chronological listing of your work experience, including a description of your organisation’s activities, your job title and responsibilities, job start and end dates
- Educational history, including dates of study and degrees conferred
- Medical residency, fellowship and other post-doctoral training (if applicable)
- Awards and honors received (if any)
- Present memberships in organisations (if any)
- List of publications (if any)
- Any intellectual property, including both patents and pending patents (if any)
- Description of your primary research and scientific/clinical interest
- Summary of your mentoring/teaching experience (if any)
c) Written essay
We request for the following short essay, in order to learn more about the person behind the application. We encourage you to share your passion, values and vision for your career with us. Please note that the answers to each question need to be written with a maximum word limit of 1000 words per question. (minimum font size 11).
Question 1: Why is innovation an important part of your career pathway? How will a fellowship in biomedical technology innovation help you achieve your short and long-term goals? What does it mean to innovate? What does being an innovator mean to you? Is innovation always desirable?
Question 2: Is there a current medical device and/or digital health company that you find to be innovative? Why? What do you think they are doing right? What do you think they could be doing better?
d) Video Essay
Please submit a 2-3 minutes video essay
Topics to cover:
1. Please give a brief introduction of yourself.
2. Describe a decision you made that was a failure. What happen and why?
3. How do you build rapport with your colleagues? Include specific examples.
Note: Do not disclose any proprietary invention you have developed if it has yet to obtain any intellectual property protection.
Video uploading and submission steps:
- Feel free to demonstrate your creativity and/or inventiveness in the video.
- Capture the video using your digital or video camera, smart phone or laptop and save it on your computer.
- Upload the video on dropbox or googledrive
- Title your video: SB Fellowship 2020 Video – [Full name]
- Drop your link into the application form
1.1.2 Round 2: Mini-assignment
Selected applicants will be notified via email. Please prepare the following documents and have it ready for submission via email by 29th September 2019, 2359Hrs.
Please note that a 250 words biography of the applicant will be required.
This assignment will only be revealed upon entering round 2.
c) Referee Letters
Please contact two referees to write referee letters with regards to your application. Please provide us the details below for us to follow up (if required).
1) Referee Name*
4) Contact Number*
5) Email Address*
6) Relationship with Applicant*
The letter template can be downloaded HERE. The referee letters should describe your ability to be creative and innovative, your academic record, research you have completed, etc.
Referee letters should be emailed directly by the authoring referees by 29th September 2019 (2359 Hrs) to email@example.com, with the email subject header “SB Fellowship 2020 – Referee letter for [Applicant Name]”.
Note that we will not accept referee letters emailed by applicants themselves.
It is your responsibility to ensure that all application materials, including the referee letters, are duly submitted by the deadline.
d) Supporting Documents
All supporting documents, if not in English, must be accompanied by copies of the English translation of the documents.
- Copy of official transcripts of academic records for degree programmes attended
- Copy of official certificates for academic qualifications and professional qualifying examinations
- Copy of medical registration certificates (for medically trained individuals)
- Other information you deem helpful to your application
1.1.3 Round 3: Interview
Shortlisted applicants will have to go through a two-day face-to-face interview with a panel of SB stakeholders, Singapore and Stanford Faculty and industry mentors on the following dates. Please note that the dates below are still tentative.
- Day 0: 17th October, Thursday, 6:30pm-8:30pm (SG Time)
- Day 1: 18th October, Friday, 8:20am-6pm (SG Time)
- Day 2: 19th October, Saturday, 8:20am-11:20am (SG Time)
Applicants are encouraged to soft book/apply leave on these 2 dates.
1.2 Outcome of Application
Applicants will be notified on the following dates on their application status:
- Application Part 1: 23rd September 2019
- Application Part 2: 5th October 2019
- Interview: TBD
1.3 Enquiries and Other Information
FAQs on fellowship application is available for reference.
For enquiries, please feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants with existing bond/scholarship must inform the scholarship owner on your application to the SB Fellowship program. All Fellows are required to serve a 2-year SB bond upon graduation, separately from any existing bond.
Documents should be submitted in PDF (.pdf) format. Materials not in electronic form must be scanned and submitted in PDF (.pdf) format.
An acknowledgement email will be sent to you, upon our receipt of your application.
Please get ready the necessary information before you start filling this form as incomplete forms cannot be saved.
2. Application Form Round 1
Application for Fellowship Round 1 is now closed. For applicants who have already applied, you will be notified by 23rd September 2019 on your application status.
3. Application Form Round 2
Selected applicants will be notified via email. Please prepare the documents required and have it ready for submission via email by 29th September 2019, 2359Hrs.
4. Face-to-Face Interview
Applicants who are shortlisted from the second round will have to go through an face-to-face interview with a panel of SB stakeholders, SB Singapore and Stanford faculty and industry mentors. Applicants are encouraged to soft book/apply leave on the following dates for the interview.
- Day 0: 17th October 2019, Thursday, 6:30pm-8:30pm (SG Time)
- Day 1: 18th October 2019, Friday, 8:20am-6pm (SG Time)
- Day 2: 19th October 2019, Saturday, 8:20am-11:20am (SG Time)